Fish store; person who owns or works at a fish store. Thanks to Gigi Simeone. “The fishmongers had suddenly become personable and were saying things like ‘Enjoy!’ as they handed over the fish.” (Nora Ephron, The New Yorker, April 21, 1997)/”Now comes Eataly, an enormous and enormously crowded new Italian-food market and restaurant collection that opened recently off Madison Square Park: 50,000 square feet of restaurants and peninsular provisions, with a fishmonger and butcher (and vegetable butcher) and an espresso bar, a wine store, a cheese store, a cooking school, a kitchenware department and a great deal more.” (Sam Sifton, New York Times, October 20, 2010) Google Ngram.
Top Posts & Pages
- 1,582,211 hits
- Geez, I don’t know, stumps me, we’ll just chalk it up to one of life’s great mysteries. @UpshotNYT https://t.co/JSLdsXs1ml 22 hours ago
- Being HUD secretary isn't brain surgery. IT ISN'T BRAIN SURGERY!! 2 days ago
- RT @Longreads: When Mary Martin Was the Boy Who Wouldn’t Grow Up. lgrd.co/2gulKB8 @byagoda #longreads https://t.co/rBWfk1TJQu 2 days ago
- Johnny Carson would make a better HUD secretary. As would Ben Kingsley. 2 days ago
- Norah Jones: "the Grapevine, Texas-born daughter of Ravi Shankar." That missing comma bother you @BCDreyer @TheSlot @MaryNorrisTNY ? 3 days ago