Fish store; person who owns or works at a fish store. Thanks to Gigi Simeone. “The fishmongers had suddenly become personable and were saying things like ‘Enjoy!’ as they handed over the fish.” (Nora Ephron, The New Yorker, April 21, 1997)/”Now comes Eataly, an enormous and enormously crowded new Italian-food market and restaurant collection that opened recently off Madison Square Park: 50,000 square feet of restaurants and peninsular provisions, with a fishmonger and butcher (and vegetable butcher) and an espresso bar, a wine store, a cheese store, a cooking school, a kitchenware department and a great deal more.” (Sam Sifton, New York Times, October 20, 2010) Google Ngram.
Top Posts & Pages
- 1,532,135 hits
- RT @kenfinkel: Sadie Rae has the incredibly rare Sanfilippo Syndrome. Touching story by Maria Yagoda in People Magazine out today. https://… 4 minutes ago
- Is Trump on record as ever calling Christie fat? (Chris Christie, not Christie Brinkley.) 8 minutes ago
- There is crying in baseball. #Fernandez #Scully 5 hours ago
- Variations on “show don’t tell” learned in collaboration w/ Non-Fiction Workshop class. 1. Show, which earns you a tell. 2. Tell, then show. 1 day ago
- I haven’t heard this much about grading on a curve since junior high school. 1 day ago