A portion of coffee that is consumed on a single occasion. A cup of coffee; some coffee; coffee. In American English, “a coffee” can also refer to an informal afternoon social occasion at which coffee and other light refreshments are served. “Jeff Israely’s journey was a little shorter—just round the corner from his apartment in Rome to have a coffee and a chat with his local barista, Vincenzo.” (Time, June 14, 2007)/”You grabbed the car keys and set off to your destination not worrying about whether your friends knew that you were headed to the mall, then to the grocery store, then you might stop for a coffee and, oh yeah – you needed gas, too.” ([Newport News, Va.] Daily Press, blog post, March 8, 2011). Google Ngram.
Top Posts & Pages
- 1,580,369 hits
- Being HUD secretary isn't brain surgery. IT ISN'T BRAIN SURGERY!! 21 hours ago
- RT @Longreads: When Mary Martin Was the Boy Who Wouldn’t Grow Up. lgrd.co/2gulKB8 @byagoda #longreads https://t.co/rBWfk1TJQu 21 hours ago
- Johnny Carson would make a better HUD secretary. As would Ben Kingsley. 1 day ago
- Norah Jones: "the Grapevine, Texas-born daughter of Ravi Shankar." That missing comma bother you @BCDreyer @TheSlot @MaryNorrisTNY ? 1 day ago
- RT @bgzimmer: .@byagoda on "buttercup," "snowflake," and other mocking epithets of the moment. chronicle.com/blogs/linguafr… 1 day ago