Adj. Custom-made. Traditionally, in reference to men’s clothing, especially suits; now more commonly metaphorical. “Until recently, folks looking to buy themselves a Bentley Arnage had a difficult choice: the Red Label or the Green Label. Either way, they got acres of premium hides, hand-polished hardwoods, a ”bespoke audio system,’ … (New York Times, January 28, 2001)/”The company is currently developing its own bespoke website which will go live when the Amazon deal ends in 2013.” (Wall Street Journal, February 8, 2011) Google Ngram.
Top Posts & Pages
- 1,220,026 hits
- O. Sacks "On the Move" quotes transitive verb "impact" (w/out "on") from a 1970 letter. @OED has no cites (w/out "on"). Anything earlier? 2 hours ago
- Can we get a moratorium on "The Kids Are Alright" headlines? 4 hours ago
- Did you all read this amazing article by @mariayagoda yet? ozy.com/true-story/i-d… 7 hours ago
- Haven't encountered "stroppy"? You will @jackshafer britishisms.wordpress.com/2015/08/31/str… 1 day ago
- http://t.co/KzIHGByaGi 2 days ago