Adj. Custom-made. Traditionally, in reference to men’s clothing, especially suits; now more commonly metaphorical. “Until recently, folks looking to buy themselves a Bentley Arnage had a difficult choice: the Red Label or the Green Label. Either way, they got acres of premium hides, hand-polished hardwoods, a ”bespoke audio system,’ … (New York Times, January 28, 2001)/”The company is currently developing its own bespoke website which will go live when the Amazon deal ends in 2013.” (Wall Street Journal, February 8, 2011) Google Ngram.
Top Posts & Pages
- 969,409 hits
- "Hal (rhymes with "pal")-o-ween" or "Hollow-een"? And where are you from? 7 hours ago
- What's with "off-ten" instead of "offen"? 20 hours ago
- Student A: "My professor actually said the word 'dabble.'" Student B: "For her generation, that was probably a word." #overheardatUD 23 hours ago
- RT @JustinWolfers: First the aggregators aggregated the polls. Now @UpshotNYT aggregates the aggregators. Amazing election deep dive: http:… 1 day ago
- Best living writer of English prose? Props to @page88 @JamesWolcott but my nod goes to #clivejames chronicle.com/blogs/linguafr… @GeneSeymour 1 day ago