Adj. Custom-made. Traditionally, in reference to men’s clothing, especially suits; now more commonly metaphorical. “Until recently, folks looking to buy themselves a Bentley Arnage had a difficult choice: the Red Label or the Green Label. Either way, they got acres of premium hides, hand-polished hardwoods, a ”bespoke audio system,’ … (New York Times, January 28, 2001)/”The company is currently developing its own bespoke website which will go live when the Amazon deal ends in 2013.” (Wall Street Journal, February 8, 2011) Google Ngram.
Top Posts & Pages
- 587,972 hits
- "I consider every single song by Joni Mitchell to be part of the American songbook"--Jonathan Schwartz 2 hours ago
- "But Wait, There's Mohr" (funnyman Jay Mohr plots a comeback) #hedneedsstory 6 hours ago
- Me too! RT @RachelSenn: "Hey, what's a good song on your workout playlist?" Sorry dude, I listen to @onthemedia at the gym. #dontjudgeme 6 hours ago
- If your writing has a wordiness problem, put up a sign where you work: "It's the economy, stupid" 2 days ago
- The @BBCr4today piece on Britishisms in US with me and @lynneguist now skedded for Wed. Bumped by "Breaking news" (aka Becks bombshell?) 2 days ago